Thursday, June 6, 2013

Color Me Rad!


Almost 2 weeks ago I did my first color run, Color Me Rad.  It’s a 5K run (3.1 miles) and every kilometer they throw a different colored powder on you. 
So many people sign up that they have to assign you to a wave with waves departing every 20 minutes.  My cousin and I
 
were in the first wave, which started at 9:00.  My daughter and a friend didn’t go until 10:40.  Even though I was in the first wave, 9:00 is very late for me to be running.  I usually run at 6:00.  Oh well.  Can’t have everything go my way, can I?  :-)  They encourage you to wear white clothes so the color shows up better.  
 
We started with 500 other people and were off!  At kilometer 1 we got color thrown on us.  It’s colored cornstarch, which doesn’t taste very good if it gets in your mouth but won’t hurt you.  I don’t remember the order of the colors, but they had different delivery methods.  Sometimes it was thrown on us by hand from bulk boxes.  At one station it was mixed with water and sprayed on us from sprayers like pest control people use.  At another station they were using fire extinguishers to deliver the color!  
This run is just for fun and is not even timed.  I didn’t take my watch so I don’t know what my time was.  I’m sure it was a little slower than usual since I didn’t know the course and it was later in the morning and getting hot.  
This was my daughter’s first race.  Go Brianne!  (She's on the far right in the picture above and in the group one below.)  She didn’t time herself, either, but she did have fun.  The cornstarch messed with her breathing a little bit, but nothing serious.  
So at the beginning we had “ridiculously white shirts,” as the DJ called them, and by the end we had colorful shirts.  And pants, socks, shoes, skin, hair, etc. 
 
We met up with some friends afterward for a group picture. 

This run was fun, which is how they designed it to be, but I don’t think I’ll do another one.  It was more expensive than other 5Ks, it started late in the day, it was on Memorial Day weekend and that’s late to be running in Florida, and…um…I’ve moved beyond 5Ks. 
:-O 

Did I really just say that?  I run a 5K three times a week just in my normal training, I’ve already done one 10K and am training for another in less than a month, and I’m training for Ragnar, the 200-mile relay race.  This would be a good first race but I’m not a beginner anymore.
Here’s a bonus picture of someone’s shirt I saw and liked. 

 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment